High Protein Smoothie
1 tablespoon fresh ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon hemp seeds
1 cup frozen blue berries
1/2 cup yogurt (or 1/2 avocado)
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 apple, seeded and chopped
4-5 leaves of kale, stems removed
1 cup water
1. Blend all ingredients in a blender and enjoy immediately.
Sweet Breakfast Quinoa
1 cup quinoa, soaked and rinsed
2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup nuts and seeds of your choice
1/2 cup dried fruit of your choice
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1 teaspoon ground cinammon
pinch of salt
1/2 can coconut milk
1. Soak quinoa for at least 15 minutes or up to 6 hours. Rinse well after soaking. In a medium sauce pan, add quinoa and water. Bring to a boil and cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
2. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the nuts and seeds and cook over medium heat, stirring a few times until the nuts become fragrant and slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the fruit, maple syrup, orange zest, cinnamon, salt and coconut milk. Stir to combine and heated through.
3. Add the mixture to the quinoa and stir until incorporated. Divide into four portions. Can be made ahead of time and reheated.
Sausage, Chard and Goat Cheese Fritata
1/2 pound ground breakfast sausage
8 medium leaves of chard, stems chopped and leaves torn in small pieces
1/2 cup of any other veggies (squash, peppers, onions, etc.)
1 tablespoon water
pinch of salt and pepper
2 ounces goat cheese
coconut oil to grease pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium saute pan, add sausage and begin to brown. After a few minutes, pour off excess grease. Add chard stems and saute for a few minutes. Finally add chard leaves and any additional vegetables. Remove from heat.
3. Crack eggs into a large bowl and add water, salt and pepper. Whisk gently.
4. Use a small amount of coconut oil to grease a 6-muffin pan. Divide eggs evenly into muffin pan. Sprinkle sausage and veggies into eggs and finally top with goat cheese.
5. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until eggs start to brown. Remove from pan and serve immediately or store in the frige for an easy, early morning breakfast.
Smoke Salmon Wrap with Cream Cheese, Spinach and Tomato
4 whole wheat tortillas
4 tablespoons cream cheese
2 tablespoons fresh dill
1 package of smoked salmon
handful of spinach or greens of your choice
2 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
1. Lay out the tortillas and spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese on each tortilla. Sprinkle with dill and a little fresh pepper.
2. Lay a few pieces of salmon on top of the cream cheese and top with spinach and tomato. Wrap up and enjoy.